Juan Luis Arsuaga
Professor of Palaeontology in the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and Director of the UCM-ISCIII Joint Centre for Research into Human Evolution and Behaviour
Roger E. Levien
President, Strategy and Innovation Consulting Fellow, ALA, 2008-2011
Roger E. Levien debates with Javier Celaya
Head of the cultural portal Dosdoce
* 16:00 – 16:20 Innovation and creativity in the agenda of Greek Public Libraries. The grassroots approach of the Future Library Program.
Future Library Initiative in Greece
* 16:20 – 16:40 Reality and Desire in Digital Library Services: The Case of the State Public Library in Huelva.
Antonio Agustín Gómez Gómez
Director of the State Public Library in Huelva, Spain
Coordinator web 2.0 services. Municipal Libraries of A Coruña
* 17:00 – 17:20 Project of Virtual Library from the Diputació de Girona
Marta Morera i Sadurní
Chief of Coordination and Libray Services Section. Libray Service, Diputación de Girona, Spain
Carme Renedo i Puig
Head of the Libraries Services, Area of Local, Cultural Cooperation and Social Action Diputación de Girona, Spain
* 17:20 – 18:30 Debate
Moderator: Nieves González Villavicencio
Head of the Department of Library Science and Documentation at the Universidad O. de Olavide and librarian at the Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
* The E-Books Strategy at the City Libraries Network of Cartagena. Cayetano Tornel Cobacho and Cecilia Emma Sánchez Martínez.
* Forever Changes- e-books and the Public Library. Martin Palmer.
* Libraries for memory. Mª Neus Montserrat Vintró.
* Developing Library Mobile Apps. Natalia Arroyo Vázquez.
* 9:00 –9:20 EuropeanaLocal
Mª Luisa Martínez-Conde
Head of the Library Projects Division. Subdirectorate General for Library Coordination
Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports.
* 9:20 – 9:40 The Europeana1914-1918 Initiative– From Concept to Project
Projects Coordinator, Europeana
* 9:40 – 10:00 The Digital Library Memoriademadrid: Development and Strategies on Cultural Dissemination.
Juan Ramón Sanz Villa and Gilberto Pedreira Campillo
Digital Library Memoriademadrid. Department of Archives and Libraries, Madrid City Council, Spain
* 10:00 – 10:20 The Local Collection, building Collective Memory. The Experience of the City Library of Ermua
Sara Gago Pascual
Municipal Library of Ermua, Spain
* 10:20 – 11:30 Debate
Moderator: Fernando Juárez Urquijo
Municipal Library of Muskiz, Spain
* 12:00 – 12:20 Europeana general paper. Europeana and itsProjects
Senior Communications Advisor, Europeana
* 12:20 – 12:40 Collaboration as a Means to Adding Value in Digital Libraries
Louisiana Digital Library
Digital Initiatives: Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University
* 12:40 – 13:00 Mexican Digital Library
Lic. Fernando Álvarez del Castillo
General Director for Libraries, CONACULTA, Mexico
* 13:00 – 13:20 The Finnish Digital Library. Developing a National Service in Collaboration with Libraries, Archives and Museums
National Library of Finland. Deputy National Librarian
* 13:20 – 14:30 Debate
Moderator: Javier Álvarez
Director of the Library of Andalucía, Spain
* Reinventing the Library, Recreating the City. Rafael Ibáñez Hernández.
* AmaraUNA, Creating Neighbourhood Identity Through the Digital Collection. Larraitz Idarreta Garmendia.
* The Library as Content Agregator. Marta Romera Colomé.
* The Serrallo, a Fairy-Tale Place. The Memory of the Fishers. Imma Pujol, Dolors Saumell, Mercè Toldrà.
* Literary Geocaching in the Streets of Badalona City Centre. Imma Casals and Dolors Zamora
* Red Riding Hoods, their Wolves, Vampires and Terrorific Beings: The Liberart Project, or Creativity Reflected in the Virtual and Physical Space at the Libraries of the Sant Andreu District of Barcelona Libraries. Gemma Domingo Espinet and Laia Moñino Balaguer
* Possibility of Application of the Directive on the re-use of public sector information at Public Libraries. A Critical Approach. Fernando Ramos Simón and Rosario Arquero Avilés.
* Public Libraries in the Local Radio Stations. Course Analysis and Future Perspectives. Daniel García Giménez.
* A Web Portal Adapted to each Kind of User: Digital Services in the Municipal Libraries Network of the Barcelona Province. Àngels Gómez Lendínez and Aurora Toboso Vicente
See information about videos and podcasts in day 9
Professional visits. The following options will be available:
Please visit the “Practical Information” tag for details on registration, options and schedules for these visits
Europeana Wokshops (by invitation only)
Briefing Workshop: Implementing Europeana in Public Libraries & Community Collection Days
The Briefing Workshop Consists of two Topics:
The first Part of the Briefing Workshop will discuss the opportunities for Public Libraries to interact with Europeana and will Introduce Tools and Services which will be made available for implementation and testing by the Public Libraries Network through Europeana Awareness during the next 1-2 Years. It will also provide an opportunity for Europeana to develop its understanding of future needs of Public Libraries which it can help to meet.
The second part of the Briefing Workshop will discuss how Public Libraries can act as Community Collection Points to promote contributions to Europeana and engage with the general public. It will provide information and guidelines on the participation in topic-based campaigns to gather memorabilia and stories, focusing on the addition of both contribution and contextual data by end-users, but also the organisation of Community Collection Events, with a focus on public uploading of material via the internet and how to raise public Awareness and draw media interest for these content gathering campaigns.
* 8:45 –9:15 Welcome and registration, coffee
* 9:15 –9:35 Introduction to the work of Europeana Awareness Public Libraries network, Rob Davies
Part 1 – Europeana Tools and Services
* 9:35 –9:50 The Europeana Search Widget for Public Libraries, David Smith
* 9:50 –10:10 The Europeana API, David Smith
* 10:10 –11:00 Other tools and services for implementation and testing, Lizzy Komen:
-Support for Crowd Sourcing of Tagging and Geo-coding
-Digital Storytelling platform
- Publishing to Wikimedia
* 10:10 –11:00 Coffee break
Part 2 – Public Libraries as Community Collection Points
* 11:20 –13:00 Community Collections briefing event, part 1
- General overview of the Europeana policy on User Generated Content (UGC), Ad Polle
- Two projects: Europeana 1914-1918 & Europeana 1989, Frank Drauschke
* 13:00 –14:00 Lunch
* 14:00 –16:00 Community Collections briefing event, part 2
-How to organise a community collection event, Ad Polle & Frank Drauschke
-Brainstorming & Discussion – Public Libraries acting as Community Collection Service points, All, monitored by Rob Davies
* 15:50 –16:00 Closing remarks & Wrap Up, Rob Davies
The Workshop will take Place at Teatro Principal at Paseo del Espolón s/n, provided by the City Council of Burgos.