The archive is located in the Hospital Tavera building (Toledo). A part of the building was handed over by the Casa Ducal Medinaceli Foundation, owner of the hospital, to the Ministry of Culture under an agreement signed in 1988. This building –also known as the "Outside Hospital", as it is erected outside the city walls- was founded by Juan Pardo de Tavera, archbishop of Toledo and dedicated to St John the Baptist. It construction began in 1541. The project was commissioned to Alonso de Covarrubias who designed a beautiful Renaissance building, certainly one of the most important Spanish civil architecture buildings of the 16th century.