The Ministry of Culture and Social Welfare established by Decree 1558/1977, of July 4th, the restructuring of certain bodies of the Spain's Central Administration BOE of July 5th, integrating units that had reported to different departments:
At the time of its creation it occupied the headquarters of the extinct Ministry of Information and Tourism (paseo de la Castellana, 109). Up until that time the central archive had been located in the basement there and this is where the Central Archive of the new department was situated.
In 1983, the State Secretariat for Culture moved to is current headquarters in Plaza del Rey and since then the Archive has been housed in basements 2 and 3 of that building. In 2001 the staff work area was moved to the House of the Seven Chimneys (Casa de las Siete Chimeneas).
In 1977-1978 the Archive took on the document collection of the Ministry of Information and Tourism (apart from that referring to commerce and tourism) and in the following years received the documentation of the Office of Artistic and Cultural Heritage and from the office of the Assistant Office for Family, Youth and Sport, although most of this initial collection of documentation has been transferred to the Administration's General Archive.
Since its creation, the Central Archive has received the documentation from the office archives of the many units that form the Ministry-Secretary of State and has, in turn, been periodically sending documentation to the Administration's General Archive.