En la actualidad, el depósito del Archivo Central está ubicado en los sótanos 2 y 3 del edificio central de la Secretaría de Estado de Cultura, donde antes estaban los archivos y cajas del Banco Urquijo.
The work and consultation rooms can be found in basement 0 of the building called the Casa de la Siete Chimeneas (House of the Seven Chimneys).
Some authors attribute the design of the Casa de las Siete Chimeneas to Juan Bautista de Toledo and the material authorship to his assistant, Juan de Herrera, but it has still not been possible to confirm this with total certainty. What is known is that the building was finished towards 1570, showing off the seven chimneys that gave it its name.
La Casa de las Siete Chimeneas has had many owners over the course of its history (among others, it was occupied by the Count Duke of Olivares, the Marquis of Esquilache, Manuel Godoy, etc.). In 1840 the building had to be altered when the Olympic Circus (at the time, Price) was built in its vicinity. Other later alterations added length to the building and gave it new facades. In 1881 Jaime Girona (Count of Eleta) bought the house from the Colmenares family (Count and Countess of Polentinos) for use as the head office of the Banco de Castilla. The architect Manuel Antonio Capo took charge of its restoration in an attempt to return it to its original form.
In 1957 the building was acquired by Banco Urquijo, with alterations made by the architects José Antonio Domínguez Salazar and Fernando Chueca in 1958. At the beginning of the 1980s it became the property of the Ministry of Culture establishing the ministerial head office there there.