Logo de Archivos Estatales de la Secretaría de Estado de Cultura

Archive of the Royal
Chancery of Valladolid

Building of the Archive of the Royal Chancery of Valladolid

The Royal Chancery of Valladolid was one of the first institutions of the Crown of Castile to have a building constructed expressly to serve as a document repository. The Archive, with 2 floors measuring 40 metres long by 16 metres wide, plus a basement and an attic, was inaugurated in 1682 and housed the documents produced by the court until 1973.

That year, a new building was opened, built on the land of the courts of justice that Philip II of Spain ordered to be built in 1572 to increase the premises of the Chancery, which had been demolished in 1969. The new building, which kept the original design of the 16th-century palace, has a total of 6,665 square metres and consists of a main building that houses the various Archive services and another 7-storey building exclusively for the document repository.

Contenidos Adicicionales


Icono de conformidad con el Nivel Doble-A del W3C-WAI. Se abre en ventana nueva Titulares RSS disponibles

© Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport